Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Let's be more like Europe.

This makes me angry. How can anyone think this is okay:

"Homeschooling is so important to Uwe Romeike that the classically trained pianist sold his beloved grand pianos to pay for moving his wife and five children from Germany to the Smoky Mountain foothills of Tennessee.

Romeike, his wife, Hannelore, and their children live in a modest duplex about 40 miles northeast of Knoxville while they seek political asylum here. They say they were persecuted for their evangelical Christian beliefs and homeschooling their children in Germany, where school attendance is compulsory.

When the Romeikes wouldn't comply with repeated orders to send the children to school, police came to their home one October morning in 2006 and took the children, crying and upset, to school.

"We tried not to open the door, but they (police) kept ringing the doorbell for 15 or 20 minutes," Romeike said. "They called us by phone and spoke on the answering machine and said they would knock open the door if w e didn't open it. So I opened it.""
If you want to educate your children in your own way we will send the POLICE after you!?!?! I feel so bad for these people. I really hope the immigration authorities come through for them.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that’s such crap, this is the kind of stuff that makes me hate anything police or ‘law’ enforcement. I Am fairly certain that had I been there; the situation would have at some point been escalated to me finishing a sentence with ‘…from my cold dead fingers’.

What really gets me fired up is the fact that when you get a marriage license with the state, part of the disclosure ( which you don’t get) is that anything ‘made’ in your civil union (aka Children) belongs to the state. That’s right, children are nothing more than property to your state, parents are nothing more than guardians to their own offspring. To me, if anything isn’t ok, that is not ok, more than the occasional police atrocities that to foreigners.

Which means btw that situations like the one you just showed us, (although at this point would be extreme and unlikely, and would be a PR nightmare,) are not however, unrealistic, or unthinkable. And are a reality to all parents, if the state decides to take a personal vendetta against them, or decides they are ‘unfit parents’ (which, frankly I don’t associate benevolence and reason when I think of anything government (which is why I’m so up in arms about it)).

I’m ranting btw, I personally don’t understand how people can even be ok with the idea of not having full control of their children, or that their children are not really theirs. I’m sure someone out there is going to thing ‘well some parents aren’t fit to have children’. And I would agree with them, however I do not agree with the state having carte blanche to walk into your life make a declaration like that. Its unconstitional (yes, I used it, Caleb). If you lived in the old west, I would dare anyone to walk onto another person’s land and tell them that they were going to take their children.

As much as I don’t agree with all of it unfortunately it’s not illegal. And for those of you who think I’m off in the deep end. Go to a lawyer who specializes in marriage or guardianships. Ask them
1.) what the elements of a civil marriage are (you’ll be surprised at the answer)?
2. If the state legally owns your child (or children if you don’t have any)?

For the record, I’m not promoting anti married, or not having children. Or anything therein